Wednesday, May 15, 2013

How to grow long and healthy hair fast

If your hair is anything like mine, you were not blessed with the magical long hair gene. I have girlfriends that will chop off their hair to their shoulders at Christmas and by Easter their hair seems to be magically at their belly button! An exaggeration? Yes- but not too far off base. I am one of the unlucky ones whose hair grows at a snails pace- but for the first time in a long time my hair seems somewhat longish, with the longest bits just at about nipple length. Am I finally part of this long-hair club that I've wanted in for years? YES! But the road here has been long and I've picked up a few tips and tricks a long the way. Here are just a few.



Skip the heat
I know this can be scary. There has been points in my life that I have been a slave to heat tools. Not a day would go by without passing a straightener through my hair... and boy did it show! My hair was dry and the ends were split and snarly. Dry, damaged ends will snap and break and take away any length you have achieved. I promise, the longer you go without heat and embrace your natural hair texture, the healthier your hair will look and the easier ditching the heat will be. Too many of us get caught in the viscous cycle wear our hair is so damaged, only heat styling will make it look good. So STOP NOW!

Rock your natural colour
I am a natural brunette but during university I took the leap and became a blonde- and I loved it! It brightened up my face and I got so many compliments. I kept the blonde for about four years. Although I had noticed by hair was growing much slower than usual and it wasn't shiny or healthy looking. To give my hair (and my bank account) a break I went back to my natural brown this past Christmas and my hair has been so much healthier since and has grown faster in the last five months than it has in a long time. Even my friends have noticed!

Get Dirty
Let you hair's natural oils do what they were meant to do- nourish and condition your hair. Stop washing your hair daily and stripping the natural oils. Start slow by washing every other day, then every third. Experiment with dry shampoos and cute hair styles. Your hair may seem greasy at first, but this will eventually diminish.

Condition, condition, condition
Find a deep conditioner that you love. Use it 1-2 times a week (more or less depending on your hair). The more moisturized your hair is, the less likely it will break, causing you to lose length.

Say 'so long' to sulfates
Shampoos with harsh chemicals and detergents strip your hair of moisture. They may feel luxurious and lather well in your hair, but it is doing much more harm than good. Use a sulfate free, and preferable natural shampoo. These are now widely available in drugstores. There is no excuse.

Find balance from within
Drink water, eat your veggies and get lots of protein. Not only will your hair thank you, so will your skin, nails and waist line!

These are just a few of my top tips. What are some of your favourite ways to take care of your locks?
Comment below!

Lots of love,
Jess xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...